Ground Floor Apartment

Ground Floor Apartment
Click the image for details on how to rent my beautiful apartment in Mtwapa Creek, Kenya

Sunday 15 May 2011

Local Beaches to Mtwapa

SERENA BEACH - approx 2km from Mtwapa creek 
This is taken very early in the morning before most tourists are about!

The beaches around the Mtwapa area are very varied.  Some are very geared up to the tourists and some are more local and secluded.  When I first visited the area I was based at Serena Beach which is beautifully kept but purely for the tourists and locals are not allowed on this beach unless they have a permit to work there.

The sand is white and so soft and VERY hot on the feet by mid morning!!

Next visit to Kenya I stayed at Bamburi Beach which is about 1/4 mile from the tourist beaches but is frequented by the locals too and I preferred this by far. The beach is vibrant and interesting with plenty to watch and over the years have witnessed all sorts of events on this beach from full gospel church services to football matches to acrobatic shows to local artists exhibitions and it is full of local shops and kiosks restaurants and small bars and also every type of boat trip you can imagine from glass bottom boats, fishing boats to basic catamarans .

This is Bamburi Beach featuring my daughter and a basic Kenyan catamaran.

Mtwapa is situated on a mangrove creek and there are many lovely small beaches to visit including Copacabana beach.  Frequented by locals and tourists only see this beach if they take a trip with one of the beach boys who show them around places off the normal tourist track.


COPACABANA BEACH above and below


On this beach there are local bars that will serve local fish BBQ or African food.  

I love to walk on Pirates beach which is about 5km from Mtwapa and from there you can walk all the way to Serena beach if the tide is out.


Below a small beach just along the coast about 1km from Mtwapa that is near backpackers bar a small bar with accommodation for travellers.

Often when we are on the beach we pick up fresh fish from the local fishermen who stand for hours in the water spearing fish  or they are catching octopus !! Fresh fish caught and put straight on the beach BBQ is absolutely delicious. This is Taba who is cooking for us on Copacabana beach fresh king fish and squid


I am getting withdrawal pangs writing this as I absolutely love the beaches in this area they are so laid back and simple and hot and friendly.  It is now my second home and I am asking myself why I come back to the UK especially when it is cold and wet!!

1 comment:

  1. Haha. I live here with my hubby long years and am happy on mtwapa beaches maweni. I like to stay with kenyans and not with some arrogant tourists.

    ReplyDelete